January 21, 2010

"When you are off-the-court." A reflection of Dwight Howard's blog

"... I really think basketball is just a platform for my life. Basketball is one of the most important things in my life, but it’s not the only thing. It’s what you do off the court that matters the most in life. "
-Dwight Howard, NBA Player


I was deeply touched by brother Dwight Howard's blog today. Through the writing in his blog, I sensed his humility before God, appreciation toward people, and responsibilities of his life.

God made him a famous NBA player, so that he has the opportunity to impact lives when he is off-the-basketball-court. What an unselfish and noble mentality.

Lots of times... we pray for a successful career, a named school, a good marriage, or perhaps, a healthy body. I don't know if Dwight prayed about it, or how hard did he prayed about it. But his reaction in responding to the blessed NBA career is to hope to bless others.

When I first became a pastor, I asked God to help me to become a great pastor, a pastor that can help as many people to experience God as possible. But for a while my mind began to be occupied by meeting deadline, deadline, and more deadline. "Helping others" becomes more of a head knowledge, a politically (or ministry) correct answer, but not as much of a passion, a drive, or a purpose.

"For if I do this willingly, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have been entrusted with a stewardship."
我若甘心作這事、就有賞賜.若不甘心、責任卻已經託付我了。"
-1 Cor. 9:17

In fact, we are all entrusted to be stewards of blessings and the Gospel. But when we do it willingly, passionately, proactively, we have the reward.

Thanks to Dwight. Yeah man. God just used you to remind me about my calling, my prayer, my passion today.

God made Dwight famous, and he writes his blogs off-the-court willingly, so that I got to read Dwight's blog, and I was blessed. And this is Dwight's reward! That is cool!

What are all these we are working and praying 110% hard for? That's right, so that we can be blessings of more people.

Researching extra hard to become a professor? Go for it! I pray that you'll impact some youngster's life during your office hour or coffee break - when you are off-the-stage.

Working extra hours to become the next Bill Gates? Go for it! I pray that you'll influence some collages, partners, or even competitors when you are off-the-computer-screen.


Studying like crazy to get into a good school? Go for it! I pray that you'll bless some classmates during your study hours, lunch break, or when you chat online with some friends - when you are off-the-classroom.

Preparing yourself to become a minister? GOOD FOR YOU! I pray that you'll not only bless people on the pulpit, but make your daily life itself to be the loudest sermon when you are off-the-pulpit.

We don't have to wait until we become somebody. Let's start bless others when we are off-the-court today.

Love,
Off-the-court James



To see his full blog: http://bit.ly/7LalqC

No comments:

Post a Comment